Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Update on cardioversion- an answer to prayer?

Well well well.

In yesterday's post I described the events leading up to today's booked cardioversion.

I'd had an ECG last Tuesday and the nurse and I examined it closely and sure enough the atrial fibrillation was there for all to see.

I had another mini ecg done on Sunday before undergoing an MRI scan that lasted about 45 minutes and involved a lot of noise and thumping of my chest as my blood flow was measured in order to be able to synchronise the scan with the blood flow and therefore get a clear image of the arteries.

I had a blood test yesterday that confirmed it was all systems go, so I followed the instructions for nil by mouth after midnight and went to bed around 10.00.

I woke up at 3.30. Read a book until 6.00 when my alarm went off then took my morning pills had a shower and was ready in good time to set off for the hospital.

Sue dropped me off and I arrived at reception, settled into a corner and continued with the book. Eventually I was collected and taken to my cubicle for the morning where I was asked to strip to the waist ready for the treatment. A nurse attached tabs to my chest and ankles and connected the ecg machine. She ran the test, looked at the trace and then after a minute ran the test again. She said the paper hadn't fed correctly the first time.

I went back to my book for a few minutes. The Ward Matron stopped at the foot of the bed. She was to fill out the consent form and obtain my signature. We worked through the form which is several pages long. Then she picked up the ECG printout...

And said "This is a normal heart rhythm. There's no way we will do a cardioversion on this"

She showed me the printout. I showed her the printout from September. My printout clearly showed an atrial fibrillation- and I know that last week's printout also showed it because the nurse and I compared the printouts. But today's trace showed a normal rhythm.

Everyone was smiling. I had a cup of tea and a slice of toast while other patients were one by one wheeled into the treatment room, emerging twenty minutes or so later slowly waking up from the anaesthetic.

Eventually my copy of the letter to my GP arrived and I was free to leave. I walked down to the out-patient's entrance and waited for Sue to come and collect me.

I'm a Christian who's not attended church for many years. I find it hard to pray- in fact- I don't pray. But I know that friends all over the world have been praying for me. Even my pharmacist- a Hindi (I think) told Sue that she'd been praying.

Were their prayers answered? Was this a miracle? Divine intervention?

What happened between last Tuesday and today? I've been racking my brain. One possible cause might have been the hammering my chest received during the MRI scan. Has this happened before?

I don't know. Maybe I'll never know. I feel a bit like the blind man healed by Jesus (John 9:25) who said- ""All I know is this: once I was blind and now I can see."

A big thank you to anyone who prayed for me. Be encouraged.

I have an appointment with the specialist in around four months, with a week long programme of ecg tests beforehand

No comments:

Post a Comment